TCP: Drama




I had to check what the others were writing first before I launched on to my movie pick of the week. Yes, each week, this is definitely one task that I truly enjoy. Writing about my favorite movies. But then, you may feel disappointed since most movies I've enjoyed are obscure or repetitive. True enough, those who joined this blog carnival did their research and really picked out the tearjerkers. Seriously, who wouldn't cry in Schindler's List? My mom even bought herself an original vcd of that one - a time when pirated ones were rare and unheard of. Plus, it was pricey way way back when. I loved that one and love Liam Neeson for it.

But I always go back to my favorite actor. For this week, again, forgive me I almost always have 2 picks.
Not so much dramatic as in the wailing kind, I still think it's worth a mention would be Good Will Hunting.
I love the fact that Matt Damon and Ben Affleck both wrote the script. I loved Minnie Driver in this movie.


For the complete summary with spoilers to boot, click here. Suffice to say that it's an engaging movie. A genius, hiding in a janitor at MIT, who can prove theorems, my husband loves to dream about. The quotable quote, " I am going to see about a girl." Plus this one too:
Will: What do I wanna way outta here for? I'm gonna live here the rest of my fuckin' life. We'll be neighbors, have little kids, take 'em to Little League up at Foley Field.
Chuckie: Look, you're my best friend, so don't take this the wrong way but, in 20 years if you're still livin' here, comin' over to my house, watchin' the Patriots games, workin' construction, I'll fuckin' kill ya. That's not a threat, that's a fact, I'll fuckin' kill ya.
Will: What the fuck you talkin' about?
Chuckie: You got somethin' none of us have...
Will: Oh, come on! What? Why is it always this? I mean, I fuckin' owe it to myself to do this or that. What if I don't want to?
Chuckie: No. No, no no no. Fuck you, you don't owe it to yourself man, you owe it to me. Cuz tomorrow I'm gonna wake up and I'll be 50, and I'll still be doin' this shit. And that's all right. That's fine. I mean, you're sittin' on a winnin' lottery ticket. And you're too much of a pussy to cash it in, and that's bullshit. 'Cause I'd do fuckin' anything to have what you got. So would any of these fuckin' guys. It'd be an insult to us if you're still here in 20 years. Hangin' around here is a fuckin' waste of your time.

Chuckie is Ben Affleck and Will is Matt Damon.

One that I also really like but am too lazy to write about is another one with Robin Williams. In this movie, Robin Williams plays one who admitted himself as a mental patient, declares himself cured, then goes on to become a doctor to try and help people.



I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms,
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way

than this: where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

This is poem by Pablo Neruda. It is Sonnet 17 of Neruda’s 100 Love Sonnets available in English translation by Stephen Tapscott. It was a poem that Patch was trying to say to Carin to tell her how much he loves her. The part that always made me cry in this movie is when Carin dies, after trying to become open to patients. A psycho killed her. Patch was never able to finish saying this poem to her. He was only able to do so at her funeral. 


0 thoughts:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. Please visit my other blogs:
Pieces of Mys
Proud Mommy Mys

Thanks